Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 13 year old beagle has a mast cell tumor on her hind leg.

Customer Question

My 13 year old beagle has a mast cell tumor on her hind leg. It is the size of a grapefruit. This is the second time she has had this tumor. We had the tumor removed last year. Her vet recommends we amputate this time. I'm nervous about amputating because of her age. She has also lost muscle mass on her back from a spinal injury. I don't know that she'd be able to hold herself up on one leg. The other option is to remove as much of the mass as possible, but she will not be able to get clean margins. My husband wants to put her down, but that wasn't given as an option. I'm just not sure what to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the beagle?
Customer: She's pretty healthy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your beagle. It's reasonable to assume that a mast cell that has reached the size that you've described has already metastasized throughout her body. If for that reason alone I wouldn't consider surgery - either debulking or amputation, and I'm just as reticent as you about amputation in any dog of her age particularly already compromised by a spinal injury. Regretfully, I would consider euthanasia a kindness at this time and so I must agree with your husband. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?