Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My yorkie has black bloody jelly like stool..small

Customer Question

my yorkie has black bloody jelly like stool..small fever...is plaing..eating..no vomiting
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Yorkie eat anything unusual?
Customer: a chew stick...but ate them before
JA: What is the Yorkie's name and age?
Customer: Ellie..6 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Yorkie?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How much does he weigh?

2- Is he on any medications?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Friend, the mucus is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines. The black feces is bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will not be possible for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and x-rays as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and x-rays as an initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she is 2 lb....on no medication...no pre existing cond.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
should I give her amoxicillin

No, do not give her amoxicillin. You can start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she has now refused to eat the rice...shes a little more lazy and feces started to clear up and less loose stools and less blood.....now she refuses to eat and her stool is water again...with blood

Was she seen by your veterinarian?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no

As we discussed before her symptoms are consistent with inflammation of the intestinal tract. She should be seen by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination and x-rays as an initial screening test. Not much you will be able to do at home at this point, I am sorry. In the meantime, follow the recommendations we discussed before.