Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My small dog ate half of a tennis ball, evidentially.

Customer Question

Hi pearl, my small dog ate half of a tennis ball, evidentially.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dexter, about a year and a half years old. He's 12 lbs. Shorkie
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dexter
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dexter?
Customer: He's thrown up what looks like has to be most of what he ate, if not all of it. I understand that this is the good news, I just wanted some reassurance or information about what to do next if, seeing as he is a small dog, there are any concerns
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, you now observe for persistent vomiting and/or anorexia which are the hallmarks for both small intestine obstruction and perforation. If either symptom arises, Dexter's vet will want to X-ray or ultrasound Dexter's GI tract in order to determine its health and how much, if any, of the tennis ball remains in Dexter's GI tract. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?