Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My Weimaraner is 11 years old. I just took her to the vet a

Customer Question

My Weimaraner is 11 years old. I just took her to the vet a couple weeks ago and they gave her some anti-inflammatory pills and some pain pills for her uncomfortableness probably due to arthritis or some hip problems. It was a pretty pricey Veterinary bill as it was without getting the actual diagnosis which would have been $1,100. Anyways she was doing pretty well and then last night she had a really rough rough night to wear she was just just kind of sitting there staring off into space not responding when I asked her to come to bed and then I could tell she was in some discomfort too because she was having a hard time getting up. In the meantime before I take her back to the vet is there anything I can do tonight to help her sleep better like anything that all you can think of
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern. I am sorry to hear about the hard time your dog is having. There are two additional things you can try at home to help her sleep. Both are very safe for dogs. The first is melatonin. It is naturally produced by our bodies (and theirs) to induce a normal sleep cycle. Supplementing with extra melatonin allows for better rest. For a dog her size, she would get between 3-6 mg before bed. Another option is to try benadryl as it has the side effect of sedation. She would receive 50 mg of this. Please let me know when you return so we can discuss this further.