Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is a 14 yr old, 40 pound German Shepherd mix and is

Customer Question

Hello, my dog is a 14 yr old, 40 pound German Shepherd mix and is arthritic. I can no longer afford Tramadol nor Carprofen which he did well on. Is there anything OTC and on the lower price side I can give him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I am very sorry to hear that his medications are causing you financial distress. Though I'd just note that if you have not already, it may be worth checking an online vet pharmacies. As they are bigger companies then the average vet practice, they do sell in bulk and this means they can charge less for clients. So, while you'd need a prescription from his vet this may be a means to get his medication at a lower cost.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** care options, we are a bit limited but do have a few options. To start, since this is a long term issue that will need lifetime support, I would note that there are some very good nutritional supplements that you may want to consider as these can naturally reduce inflammation and support joints. For example, you can consider supplementing him with fish oil (omega 3 or 6; EPA/DHA) and/or glucosamine/chondroitin. In regards ***** ***** former, these can be helpful as they do have anti-inflammatory properties. In regards ***** ***** we tend to give this at a rate of 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this could just help soothe his inflammation and get him more comfortable quicker. Furthermore, you can use glucosamine/chondroitin here. These are a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). They work to aid joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, these would be worth consideration for him as well. Otherwise, we can use Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE) as a mild pain relief for our dogs. It needs to be given after food and cannot be used while he is on Carprofen (as they interact) but it is the one human pain relief medication we can try for him (as the others have some toxic concerns) to see if we can keep him comfortable here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**