Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

She is 15-16, She for 10 years was normally a very happy,

Customer Question

She is 15-16, She for 10 years was normally a very happy, friendly and loving little animal. recently, has had seizures and is on bromide. but she has been sleeping more and does not greet guest like she used to. Today began walking in circles, I do not think she is happy any more and it may be time.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Peanut
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She, after the seizures she forgot all her indoor training and I have messes all the time
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assit you with your dog. I suspect that the behaviors you are seeing is due to Canine Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome. This is the Doggie Version of Alzheimers or dementia. This is treatable with a Medication if I am correct with Anipryl/Seligene. It helps to ease some of the behaviors in dogs suffering from CCDS. This is some information on CCDS: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_cognitive_dysfunction_syndrome#

The behaviors you mentioned are common with this problem, so before making any decisons, I would speak with your Vet about CCDS and see if he will put Peanut on some medication to see if it is worth trying some medication. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

I wanted to check in and see if the information was helpful. The signs the dog is showing is classic CCDS and the age is right for it to happen. Please let me know if this information was helpful.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jav917