Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog picked up a toad with her mouth and now she is

Customer Question

My dog picked up a toad with her mouth and now she is foaming and throwing up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I try to wash her mouth out with water and a turkey baster but it was very hard she won't open her mouth I got it rinsed alittle bit what else should I do
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Harley 3 years old beagle/ coon hound mix
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: My vet is closed now
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: No she is healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have very quickly worked out an answer for you below.

1. This is usually no problem, toads { and frogs } are able to excrete a slight toxin from their skins which is bitter and designed to make animals which have picked them up drop them at once and so the toad escapes. This toxin would make your dog foam at the mouth and salivate and she may vomit as well. There are many varieties of toads and if this is a non toxic species then all you need do here is to flush out your dog's mouth with lots of water and the situation will normally correct itself in an an hour or so.

2. However you should be aware though that in some parts of the world including parts of the USA toads can be poisonous and toad poisoning can be very serious or even life threatening, if this is what is going on in your case then your dog will quickly be showing progressively worse symptoms and you should then take your dog to an ER vet without delay. Please follow this link for more in depth information including expected symptoms : LINK

3. In any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Harley's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Just checking back in to see how things are going ?

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Harley is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the toad incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott