Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 year old dog is diabetic and has been on vetsulin for…

My 10 year old dog...
My 10 year old dog is diabetic and has been on vetsulin for almost a year. She does very well and has not had any problems since we got her regulated on the proper dose. Tonight, she ate her dinner and I gave her her shot, then about an hour later, she vomited her food twice. She was also having trouble walking and when I took her outside, she seemed very unstable and kept walking in circles. She responds to my voice, but has not gotten up on her own.
7/28/2017
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Given she is a diabetic, the first concern is going to be for low blood sugar. This could be causing her incoordination, especially after vomiting up her meal - her insulin is basically working on an empty stomach. For this reason, I'd suggest trying to get her to eat some more food, or rubbing maple syrup / karyosyrup / honey on her gums to increase her blood sugar. Low blood sugar is always much more dangerous than elevated to blood sugar, so this is the safest option when in doubt. Other possibilities could include a vestibular episode, which could cause vomiting, circling, balance issues, etc. Circling can be seen with other neurologic conditions as well. Given she's a diabetic the absolute best recommendation is to get her in asap for a physical examination and at a minimum a blood sugar check. Other diagnostics might be suggested based on the examination and whether or concerns are suspected (e.g. a vestibular episode). With her not getting up on her own, being off balance, and walking in circles, I'd absolutely recommend getting her assessed asap if at all possible. The syrup can be applied to her gums before bringing her in to the nearest available clinic.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Just before you responded, I did wonder about low blood sugar, since she vomited her food shortly after I gave her a shot. I did rub some Karo syrup on her gums, but wasn't sure how much.

You can't really do too much honestly, I would just liberally apply it around all of her upper gums and that should suffice for immediate hypoglycemia concerns... it certainly won't hurt but it can be life-saving. It sounds like she was well regulated before, this could be a reflection of a need for a change in her insulin or there could be something else separate going on which when resolved won't necessitate changes to her diabetes regimen, it's hard to know until you get her checked... but anytime there is a concern for low blood sugar it's much safer to err on the side of caution with diabetics.

Hope this helps, let me know any followup questions, otherwise kindly rate, thanks! - Dr. Peck.

Do you think I'm safe to wait until first thing in the morning to take her in, since I gave her the karo syrup?

I wouldn't recommend it. Best recommendation with something like this in a diabetic is to get them seen asap, and a blood sugar will always be the first thing a vet will assess before discussing anything further.

Without seeing your dog in person and examining her myself I can't diagnose / prescribe / or prognose the situation, so I just can't guarantee she'll be fine over night. If she were my patient and you called in to my clinic I'd direct for her to come right down. If your regular vet isn't open I'd suggest going to an emergency clinic if possible - elevated costs are a given, but if a physical examination isn't concerning and her blood sugar is ok you could stay conservative with treatments (e.g. a anti-nausea medication) until you could followup with your regular vet.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Judy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Isabelle. How is everything going?

Samuel Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian