Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 60lb black lab that ate about 6 ounces of play doh,

Customer Question

hi there
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have a 60lb black lab that ate about 6 ounces of play doh
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Brady 10years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no ma'am
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Good news! The ingredients of Play-Doh are non toxic to dogs as such and generally cause no side effects. The only problems that I have seen from dogs eating Play-Doh are when they ingest a lot (many cans of the dough) then they can suffer excessive drinking and urination. Also some dogs may experience a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea but that's about all I would expect.

2. The amount of Play-Doh which Brady ingested was relatively little so there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him and making sure he has access to water. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.