Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can I really ask anything about my dogs health? We just got

Hello, can I really ask...
Hello, can I really ask anything about my dogs health?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: We just got a pathology report back stating that our 7 year old rescue pitfall has cancer but we don't understand how serious it is an can't see the vet until Saturday.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cane
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He's just recovered from pneumonia and put on 20lbs in the few weeks since we got him. He seems in good health but just has 2 tumors on his chin. The report states:
7/28/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

So sorry that Cane has this diagnosis. Unfortunately your statement ends at "the report states:" and there is no attached report. Can you please retype or attach the diagnosis? How large is this mass? Is it attached to the chin/ bone or just on the skin? Did it come on rapidly?

I'm sorry that's all we have right now. The circular mass seems to be about an inch wide and we've only know Cane 4 weeks but it's been there all the time and has perhaps grown a little bit. It's also started a new very small mass on his head. So they believe it's aggressive. Sorry I don't have more details.
I'm really just interested if there's any way to tell what grade the cancer is from the text we have. We know we need a full body scan / x-rays to see how far it's spread.

I don't have the information on what the report states, the statement ends there. Without having the pathology report it is not possible for me to guide you on treatment or prognosis. I just have that it is 2 tumors on his chin

In order to grade a cancer the lump must be removed for histopathology which is cuts of the mass versus an aspiration which is a poke with a needle and getting a minimal sample. Grading is based on actual evaluation of the mass, aspiration of any lymph nodes in the area (throatlatch) and chest x-rays

OK Thank you so much. Have a good evening.

Your veterinary clinic should be able to email you the report and if they can (the vet doesn't have to be involved) I am happy to review it and discuss things further. I understand how frustrating it can be in the dark and I feel for you not having the answers for another two days...

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian