Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Can I really ask anything about my dogs health? We just got

Hello, can I really ask anything about my dogs health?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: We just got a pathology report back stating that our 7 year old rescue pitfall has cancer but we don't understand how serious it is an can't see the vet until Saturday.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cane
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He's just recovered from pneumonia and put on 20lbs in the few weeks since we got him. He seems in good health but just has 2 tumors on his chin. The report states:

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

So sorry that Cane has this diagnosis. Unfortunately your statement ends at "the report states:" and there is no attached report. Can you please retype or attach the diagnosis? How large is this mass? Is it attached to the chin/ bone or just on the skin? Did it come on rapidly?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry that's all we have right now. The circular mass seems to be about an inch wide and we've only know Cane 4 weeks but it's been there all the time and has perhaps grown a little bit. It's also started a new very small mass on his head. So they believe it's aggressive. Sorry I don't have more details.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm really just interested if there's any way to tell what grade the cancer is from the text we have. We know we need a full body scan / x-rays to see how far it's spread.

I don't have the information on what the report states, the statement ends there. Without having the pathology report it is not possible for me to guide you on treatment or prognosis. I just have that it is 2 tumors on his chin

In order to grade a cancer the lump must be removed for histopathology which is cuts of the mass versus an aspiration which is a poke with a needle and getting a minimal sample. Grading is based on actual evaluation of the mass, aspiration of any lymph nodes in the area (throatlatch) and chest x-rays

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK Thank you so much. Have a good evening.

Your veterinary clinic should be able to email you the report and if they can (the vet doesn't have to be involved) I am happy to review it and discuss things further. I understand how frustrating it can be in the dark and I feel for you not having the answers for another two days...