Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I adopted a coonhound from a shelter and he was doing great,

Customer Question

I adopted a coonhound from a shelter and he was doing great, but now hes peeing and pooping in the house as well as throwing up. It just started up out of the blue one day. I dont know what to do to fix this.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Coonhound eat anything unusual?
Customer: No just the dog food we have always fed him scince we got him
JA: What is the Coonhound's name?
Customer: Jerry
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jerry?
Customer: He is 6 and we dont know anything about him he was a stray in texas when they found him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is he on heartworm prevention? Is the poop normal or is it diarrhea?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The poop is normal and he just had his dewormer two months ago.

Okay thanks for the additional information. How long have you had him for? What dewormer did they give him? Since it has been two months ago , if he is not on monthly heartworm prevention he still is at risk for intestinal parasites that can cause intestinal upset. Does he recieve any treats?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have had him for almost 2 months. I dont not know what kind of dewormer the pound is the one who applied it and a brand isnt listed on his medical record.We occasionally give him nudges steak treats. But thats it. We do not feed him people food.

Okay so you had him for just a short time. A common cause for the symptoms that you are seeing is a diet indiscretion or a developed sensitivity to food. One way you can rule that out is to feed a bland diet such as boiled chicken and rice or a prescription GI diet to see if it helps with those signs for about a period of 5 days then put him back on his normal diet to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't then because of his age you may want to get some labwork done on him such as a fecal or blood work to rule anything else that could be going on