Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My dog seems to be having trouble with dry food and licks he

Customer Question

my dog seems to be having trouble with dry food and licks he floor and his bedding after eating. I have tried changing food but now he seems to like cesar and doesn't lick he is close to 30 lbs. how much of that do i have to feed him a day
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: charlie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?
Customer: He is 13 and will be 14 in oct. he is a terrier mix. the licking started about 4 months ago, he never did it before drives me crazy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern. My guess is that Charlie had issues with the dry food because of dental disease (tartar and inflammation in the mouth). Cesar canned food is easier for them to eat and does not bother the mouth as much. The licking after eating was likely due to issues with the teeth or food being stuck in the mouth. Which variety of Cesars are you feeding? The amount fed varies a bit with each formulation.

For examples, a 30 pound dog would be 5-6 of these per day:

Hello, just wanted to check in and see how things were going today.