Samuel Peck
Samuel Peck,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Meadow Hill's
98574077

I have the best ,smartest dog, but after the 4th of July and

Customer Question

I have the best ,smartest dog, but after the 4th of July and thunder storms he is not the same he scratches, his ears go back he druels, he stares at the wall when it thunders out , What can I give him Benadryl doesn`t work anymore?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chef and he is 8 years old, we have collars on the dogs, he has never been like this we live in Fl out west and the storms are bad, my wife is ready to put him down I am at witts end ??
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chef
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no he is all caught up on shots
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Samuel Peck replied 2 months ago.

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

For storm anxiety, if benadryl is no longer working I will typically suggest a few things to consider:

1 - Thundershirts, or similar products. These are "jackets" made for dogs to hug them tightly, which can help provide anxiety relief during storms and other stressful times. One time purchase, re-usable, cheap in long run if it works. Available online, in pet stores, in vet clinics, etc.

2 - Trying a different antihistamine. But if benadryl is not effective others are not likely to help either. But it's a cheap OTC option.

3 - Meeting with a trainer. Veterinarians provide medical advice primarily, we are likely to prescribe anxiety medications, but typically can't meet with you on a regular basis in your home to work on environmental modification. See if your local vet has a trainer they recommend to help with behavior modification.

4 - Prescription anxiety medications. There are a lot of options. Some are short acting for as-needed basis when a storm is coming in only. Others are long-acting for regular administration. Getting a prescription for something like this will require a visit to your local veterinarian.

5 - DAP collars, diffusers, sprays, etc. This is a canine pheromone that can help with anxiety in some dogs. Also available in pet stores, online, vet clinics, etc.

Lots of options here, I'd suggest looking into DAP and thundershirt and scheduling to meet with your local veterinarian for a physical examination and to discuss trainer recommendations and possibly starting a prescription anxiety medication.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.