Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 7 year old 120 lb. Lab is vomiting alot. He threw up 5

Customer Question

Hi, my 7 year old 120 lb. Lab is vomiting alot. He threw up 5 tines from 6 am til noon. He is urinating well, had a bm this am, and acts fine. Still drinking water, but throws up shortly after. He swam in the ocean in Pensacola and played ball in the sand.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Labrador retriever
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Labrador retriever eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we know of, we keep him close at hand. He is always on a leash, we are traveling via motorhome
JA: What is the Labrador retriever's name?
Customer: Reggie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Reggie?
Customer: He is a large breed, healthy active dog. Still acts fine eager to pkay, walk outside, alert and smiling
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

I understand your concern about Reggie as that is a lot of vomiting in a short time.

Did he keep his breakfast down this morning? Or did he vomit his food in one of his initial vomiting episodes?

He is likely dehydrated because he has been vomiting, but if even water is making him vomit you need to take it away from him until he stops vomiting.

In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.

More serious causes of vomiting include toxin ingestions, viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction. Since he is a middle aged fellow then an abdominal mass is also a possible cause.

Since this started after a beach trip this may related to drinking ocean water or accidental sand ingestion.

Because he is vomiting even water ideally he would see a veterinarian now.

If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but if he's not improving quickly he should see a veterinarian for an examination, some diagnostic testing, intravenous fluids and injectable medication to settle his stomach.

To try and settle his stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help settle his stomach and get him feeling better and hopefully get his appetite back. They can be given for several days if need be.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducers.

In a couple hours when you give him water make sure it is in small amounts only. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. You can also offer ice cubes to lick. To get some electrolytes in you can offer him a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.

If there is no vomiting for 12 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. If he refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If he refuses both or vomits that too then he needs veterinary care.

But if things go well and he does eat and doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet.

If he continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower then normal temperature (less then 99F), has a tense painful belly or if he refuses to eat he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara