Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My beagle is 16 years old unable to get up last few days.

Customer Question

My beagle is 16 years old unable to get up last few days. Her mouth is swollen. She eating and drinking water. Her abdomen is swollen too.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your beagle. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Echo. We don't have money to take her to vet. Think maybe best put her to sleep
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Echo?
Customer: I don't think she can see
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you going to answer my question
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern. I'm sorry someone was not online sooner. Please ignore the request for a phone call. The website automatically generates those.

Which part of her mouth is swollen? Her muzzle or her tongue?

When I see abdominal swelling, I worry about fluid building up on the inside. This can be clear fluid which occurs when there is liver or heart failure, or can be blood, such as from a bleeding tumor. Either way, abdominal swelling is serious and would require an exam to determine what the underlying cause is. Because Echo is unable to get up, this is concerning for weakness related to either of those causes. When dogs have fluid in their belly, it causes them to lose strength. If you can look her Echo's gums and see if they are pink, pale or yellow tinged, it would help determine the underlying cause.

Please review the above information and let me know what questions we can further discuss when you return.

Hello, just wanted to check in and see how things were going today.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily