Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I think my dog ate hard plastic last night and now cannot

Customer Question
poo, doesn't eat and gets...
i think my dog ate hard plastic last night and now cannot poo, doesn't eat and gets the shivers periodically
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 11 months. River
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: river
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: hes not wanting to move much and wants to sit on my lap. squelched when we touched his tummy
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

I'm sorry to hear River isn't feeling very well. It's common for young dogs to eat things that they shouldn't. The concern with what you've described is that something made of hard plastic likely won't be easily digested and could cause an intestinal obstruction if it's too large. An obstruction could result in vomiting, anorexia, abdominal pain, lethargy, diarrhea, straining to defecate, as common signs. I would suggest evaluating for an intestinal obstruction before any other diagnostics or treatments. This should be done asap given you're noticing abdominal pain at home. Seek care with your local veterinarian today. Discuss your concern that River may have ingested a non-food item. They'll likely want to take some x-rays to evaluate for a foreign body and/or an obstructive pattern to River's intestines. Some of these may be treated medically to help things pass through, other cases need surgery, but the first step is getting River in for a physical examination and likely some x-rays of his abdomen. Other possible causes might include parasites, pancreatitis, non-specific gastroenteritis, as a few examples, but foreign body should be assessed for first when that is a presented concern.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Would tuna salad do this to him? I just examined the bits of plastic comb he was chewing and most of it is there..

Nothing specifically toxic about a tuna salad that comes to mind, but any sort of atypical diet may cause an upset stomach in dogs, we term this dietary indiscretion or intolerance. If it's a simple upset stomach from eating abnormal food it is often quickly resolving, but sometimes medications are prescribed to help. Given the age of River and a concern about chewing / ingesting abnormal things, a visit to your local vet is warranted before deciding any treatment (or lack thereof) recommendations. X-rays might be not suggested after a physical examination is assessed, and instead a treatment trial with close monitoring could be instituted. You always have the option to decline x-rays as well, but given the age of River a foreign body is a good consideration to have given any GI abnormalities, it's just too common unfortunately. Things that might be tried for an upset stomach could include witholding food for 8-12 hours before re-starting on a bland diet of home cooked chicken and rice, along with pepcidAC dosed by weight and maybe a fiber supplement to bulk stools and help move things through. An examination is recommended ideally before electing any of these things however.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian