Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog takes toys out of the box and places them around the

Customer Question

My dog takes toys out of the box and places them around the room. She shows no sign that she wants to actively play with them with me. I don't know if she wants me to return them to the box so she can do it again, leave them there, or ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. What is the dog training's name and age?
Customer: She is a rescue (I've had her 3 months) with unknown, but at least partially feral, background. Her name is ***** ***** she's probably about 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Dog Trainer should be aware of about Jordy?
Customer: She's a lab/shepherd/? blend. Does not chase balls or toys when thrown. Loves petting. Very shy around other dogs when out walking. Backs off, sits down.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Samuel Peck replied 2 months ago.

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

This doesn't sounds concerning to me as in it doesn't indicate a pathology and it isn't destructive in nature. Does Jordy seem anxious at all? If you leave the toys alone does she continue to move them around or does she leave them in the places she's put them? It's hard to say if she wants them kept there or if she is making a game of moving things for you to put back as a sort of reverse fetch scenario, but either is possible. We do see OCD habits formed in dogs with anxiety, but this seems fairly mild and non-destructive - not hurting anyone or anything in the home. Is it ok with you to have the toys left where she's putting them? Or are you wanting this behavior to stop?