Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Coyote bite/puncture wound with bleeding in the neck

Customer Question

Coyote bite/puncture wound with bleeding in the neck shoulder area, small terrier.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the terrier?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your dog.

Thank goodness that he wasn't injured more seriously than what he appears to be. I also hope that he's up to date on his rabies vaccination so that this is one less thing you have to worry about.

Coyotes are not high on the list of species which carry rabies but it might not be a bad idea to have him revaccinated even if he's current.

As to treatment of the wound itself, I have a few suggestions; please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

If the bite wound isn't too deep or too big, then you should be able to deal with this at home. Towards that end, the following is what I'd suggest:

1. I would clean/flush the wound with over the counter dilute betadine/iodine (to the color of weak tea) or products with Clorohexidine (such as Hibiclens) twice a day and let it dry. These anti-septic products are available a tmost pharmacies. I would avoid hydrogen peroxide since it can retard healing and alcohol will burn (which you probably already know.) Even just cleaning with warm water will be fine if you don't have access to the anti-septic products I mentioned.

2. Then I would apply over the counter topical antibiotic ointment such as you would use for a wound on yourself...Neomycon, Neosporin, etc.

3. Another good product for skin issues of any sort will be Vetericyn Spray which may be available at local pet/grain stores or can be purchased online, overnight delivery.

If the wound become infected...pus develops and/or the skin surrounding the wound looks red and inflamed...or doesn't show improvement within a day or so, then a vet visit may be wise.

I hope this helps, Deb