Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

15 year old female Cockapoo had blood in urine and frequent…

15 year old female Cockapoo...
15 year old female Cockapoo had blood in urine and frequent urination and increased thirst. Bloodwork showed no abnormality. Put her on antibiotic for 2 weeks and it cleared up. Now off antibiotics and blood in urine again and frequent urination and thirst. Any ideas?
7/26/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your elderly dog. When polydipsia/polyuria (increased thirst/increased volume of urine) is seen concomitantly with a urinary tract infection we need to consider that the infection is in the kidneys - a pyelonephritis. This type of infection may require 4-6 weeks of therapy and so she may not have been treated for a long enough time. To confound the problem further, rechecking the urine with a complete urinalysis and/or bacterial urine culture and sensitivity can be misleading as bacteria aren't regularly shed by an infected kidney(s) and so it's prudent to treat for that length of time before waiting a couple of days to recheck the urine.

Alternatively, a simple cystitis (bladder infection) wasn't resolved after two weeks. The urine needed to be rechecked with a complete urinalysis (and bacterial urine culture and sensitivity if the urine were dilute as I expect it is at her age; it's difficult to see signs of infection (bacteria and abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells) in dilute urine when performing a urinalysis...hence the need for culture.

Finally, I have to consider the presence of urinary calculi (stones) or neoplasia at her age - transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra, mainly, both of which can act as niduses for infection. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian