Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have already taken my dog to the vet and she is being

Customer Question

I have already taken my dog to the vet and she is being treated but my question is this. My daughter's dog picked up an illness (virus? bacteria? parasite) at a dog day care and developed kennel cough. Unfortunately she was already visiting me when she was disposed and I have three dogs. My daughter's dog was given azithromicin (sp?) and drontal and has recovered. This was three weeks ago. I tried to keep my dogs separated from her (and I disposed of all the sick dogs poop) but they could have been exposed before we knew it. My question is this, just this week one dog got the sniffles and a little cough but another, my one shepherd came down with bloody watery diarrhea and I rushed her in immediately. She had no temp and was negative for Parvo and Giardiasis. Could this be from the same virus??!! I just want to know if different dogs have different manifestations of the virus or bacteria or what ever it was. :(((( I now am worried about the other dogs in my care as well as my daughters who originally was sick from Day Care. UGH
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your Shepherd?
Customer: i don't think you read it I know its long and confusing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

No, the infectious tracheobronchitis complex ("kennel cough") can be caused by quite a few infectious agents but the bacterium Bordetella bronchiseptica and virus parainfluenza are the principle ones and neither will cause gastrointestinal signs. Sniffles and cough were likely representative of those infectious agents but bloody diarrhea wasn't. The incubation period for this complex is 3-10 days which allows the possibility of her dog being the culprit for your dogs's symptoms. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.