Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 3 year old labradoodle (35 lbs) just ate one 200 mg Advil

Customer Question
gel cap. JA: I'm sorry to...
My 3 year old labradoodle (35 lbs) just ate one 200 mg Advil gel cap.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Labradoodle will be able to digest that. What is the Labradoodle's name?
Customer: Auggie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Auggie?
Customer: He is in good health and takes no other medications.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Please don't be alarmed. Auggie ingested 200 mg/35 lbs = 5.7 mg/lb. It would take at least 50 mg/lb to cause gastrointestinal ulceration. If you see GI distress arise in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea, you can administer an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of of 10 mg at 12 hour intervals as need be. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Thank you, we'll keep an eye on him.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian