Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6 yr old, 85lb pit's back leg just went limp. Nothing

Customer Question
My 6 yr old, 85lb...
My 6 yr old, 85lb pit's back leg just went limp.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Nothing external I also felt and squeezed slightly the whole leg. There is hip movement. Nothing with his foot pad either
JA: What is the pit's name?
Customer: Rocky
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocky?
Customer: No. Rocky was outside today and fine
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is be able to walk?

Is he dragging any limb or the back end?

What symptoms are you seeing specifically?

Is he on any medication?

Any history of illness or injury?

Thank you.
when he got up before he's back leg dragged. Now I can't get rocky to stand up. Just the non functioning back leg
No medication. Just has a dropper ful of ashwagandha root for anxiety each day
We don't really have any medical history. He's adopted and with us for 1 1/2 yrs

What happens if Rocky is placed into a standing position? Can you share a video of what you're seeing?

We didn't try. He is now shaking because someone I the area shot off some fireworks. I'm just covering him for now and laying next to him to sooth him

When you're able, I would try getting him to stand and taking a video, if you can. Knowing if he's able to use the back legs for locomotion will help me to best assist you.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian