Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is 17 yrs old and took her to a new home she missed

Customer Question
the steps and feel her...
My dog is 17 yrs old and took her to a new home she missed the steps and feel her left back leg tords her booty is swollen. She is a pug mixed with a Jack russel
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound just a lump or you can say swollen
JA: What is the pug's name?
Customer: Princess
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Princess?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

How long ago did this happen?

Is she limping?

Maybe 30min ago no limping

Does she seem painful when you touch it?

No but her leg was just shaking

It sounds like it may just be bruised or a soft tissue injury. You can try to apply an ice pack wrapped in a towel to it and keep her off of the leg for a bit. If the swelling doesn't resolve or she starts to act painful, I would have her evaluated by a veterinarian.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Is there any other signs I have to look for?
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney I am responding because you requested a second veterinarian to further advise you.

Since she is weight bearing currently the biggest concern would be if she stop bearing weight on the leg. Over time a soft tissue injury can worsen ( like a sprained ankle does in humans) so I would monitor for her not putting weight on the leg.

I would also recommend resting her leg for at least 24-48 hours to allow the leg time to heal. This would be best accomplished by crate rest or placing her in an area where she cannot move around too much.

If the leg is still shaking after 24 hours of rest then she will need to see your regular veterinarian for an examine to check that she has not injured a tendon or ligament in the leg which could require medications to help with pain and inflammation.

With her age also being older I would recommend starting her on joint supplements as well to help with arthritis and with joint inflation in the long term.

One other thing to monitor for is her dragging the top of the injured legs foot ( it would look like she is stubbing her toes) as this could indicate something more serious is occurring like nerve damage and would warrant an exam as soon as possible with your regular veterinarian.

Good luck

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian