petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

He's allergic to fleas. I didn't catch it in time. He's

Customer Question

He's allergic to fleas. I didn't catch it in time. He's received flea treatment 2!days ago but is sooo miserable with itching and biting and swollen red spots. Poor baby. Dakota is about 3 ish. He's a rescue.He was recently fixed and received his first series of shots in the past 3 months. He's also gained weight after being fixed. I don't regulate his food. I've never ever had an overweight dog. I leave his bowl full and when he's hungry he eats and if not he doesn't. It's been my experience that if you regulate their food they will eat what's in the bowl you put down whether they are hungry or not. Also, I cannot control my own weight. It would be silly of me to think I should control his. Humans have proven in recent years we are a poor judge of the amount of food to consume. However, he is about 5-10 lbs overweight in my opinion.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Dakota today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

I am sorry to hear that Dakota is so miserable. If he is flea allergic and even if you treated him for fleas, he can continue to itch for weeks from the flea bites he received before the treatment due to the allergic reaction. I would recommend that you seek veterinary intervention for him for a short course of steroids to break the itch cycle, while you continue to treat the fleas so he doesn't continue to get flea bites. Flea allergy reactions cause severe itch and there is not anything over the counter that will break that itch cycle and if he continues to itch, he could end up with a secondary bacterial or yeast infection or a hot spot. Steroids are not harmful if use for a short term treatment.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I appreciate the info. I already kind of knew the answer. Unfortunately I am in a situation where a vet visit is out of my reach. I am disabled and on a fixed income that leaves me $27 per month for food to feed both Dakota and myself. He was able to get his shots and things thru animal welfare, I couldn't pay for it. We do the best we can. I'm going to try cool cloths on the inflamed itchy spots and hope it gets better. I already spent the grocery money on this site. I would do anything in my power to relieve his suffering. He is my only companion in the world. Thank you for the info.
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Cool water epsom salt soaks or compresses may help decrease the skin inflammation some and provide some relief. Good luck with him.

Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz