Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Terrier mix dog chewing herself till bleeding..possible flea…

Terrier mix dog chewing herself...
Terrier mix dog chewing herself till bleeding..possible flea allergy started this....has been to vet and on steroids and clavamox 125 mg 2x a day...bath her with antiseptic shampoo 2-3 times a week.....help ...can not stop her chewing herself...also have a 60$ flea collar....susan
7/26/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about Weezie's itching so much.

Was she checked for skin mites? These are microscopic so we do "skin scrapings" and look at skin cells under a microscope.

If this is due to allergies, you might consider trying Apoquel, a new non steroid allergy medication.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
No one mentioned mites..l am taking.her to our vet to see..l like hearing of another med if allergy..she is really feeling bad..wont go out at all..thank u for your answer ..susan

Thank you for the great rating. Please let me know what you find out.

Apoquel works well in about 80% of dogs. I hope it helps her.

Hi Susan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Weezie. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian