Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My two dogs (mini-pin and terrier mix) lick their paws

Customer Question

My two dogs (mini-pin and terrier mix) lick their paws excessively and even lick the pillow cases and blankets on the bed. They're constantly licking and scratching all day and day and haven't always done this. I've had them both almost 5 yrs and it has only been in excess for about 6 mos. I also have been taking them to a doggie park for about 6 mos and maybe its nasty - i don;t know. please help bv4 i spend $600 for a local vet to tell me the same things. I appreciate any help u can give me.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Princess
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Princess?
Customer: no - neither one. they're been normal until the past few mos. I understand "some" licking and scratching is normal, but it is now beginning to even drive "me" crazy just watching them.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

Licking of the paws is a symptom of allergies as is scratching minus the abscence of fleas. With allergies the skin is affected, often dry, which makes the dog scratch.

This can be due to airborne particles, something that came into bloom in the spring, or food allergies. Food allergies usually show some type of rash along the belly and inner thighs.

You can try giving the dog something like zyrtec to help them feel better.

Benadryl is also used, but you don't want to use this if there are any heart problems.

Be sure the medication contains only that for allergies and not the allergy sinus as that contains toxic properties for dogs.

Adding coconut oil to the daily food can also help with allergies and skin issues.

Licking of the carpet can be due to feeling nausea and this can be from the constant licking of the feet and fur.

Below is dosing and information for benadryl and zyrtec

Benadryl http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl

zyrtec

It may take 3-5 days of regular dosing to see the most improvement: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

coconut oil dosinghttp://sitstay.com/blog/coconut-oil-for-dogs