Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My puppy had his his tail clipped when he was a few weeks

Customer Question

My puppy had his his tail clipped when he was a few weeks old he's six months old now and he's constantly scratch it licking at the tip of his tail what could be causing that
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bravo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Yes when I feel the 10th of his tail it feels like I don't know like little cat oh I like calluses are inside of it like little balls
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Bravo's tail. It is possible that when his tail was clipped, the nerve that was cut at the time developed a "neuroma", a swelling of the cut end that can be painful. It may also be that his tail is infected, or that he hurt it somehow and the little balls you can feel are scar tissue.

It may help to give him pain medication such as gabapentin (prescription for nerve pain), so having him checked by your veterinarian would be the best place to start to help him.

Please let me know what other questions you may have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard from you. Please let me know how he is doing and what other questions you may have. If my this was helpful, kindly consider rating my answer !