Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 50 pound Vizsla ate 8 tablets (25 mg each) of Dramamine

Customer Question
My 50 pound Vizsla ate...
My 50 pound Vizsla ate 8 tablets (25 mg each) of Dramamine last night. Just found the chewed up container now. . .approximately 8 hours later. It's the all day, less drowsy version containing meclizine hydrochloride. I think it's too late to force vomiting. Should I be concerned. He is acting normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Vizsla will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Vizsla?
Customer: no
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Typically when an ingestion of something happens (medications), the time frame for successful induction of emesis is usually under 2 hours. Some medications that time frame is way less as they are rapidly absorbed. At a time frame of 8 hours, there isn't any benefit to trying to induce vomiting. The good news is that meclizine is very well tolerated and this dose shouldn't be a bad one. It may cause some drowsiness. If he's acting normal at this time, then more than likely no side effects will be seen. Hopefully he can keep out of potentially more serious medications.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian