Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

How do I know if my mini schnauzer is pregnant? I did leave

Customer Question

How do I know if my mini schnauzer is pregnant? I did leave her with a male schnauzer about a month ago, for an hour but didnt watch them, I didnt think they got together until 2 days ago she seemed like her tits were swollen and today she looks a lot fatter, BUT also about 4 days ago she got a pork bone and hurried and swallowed it when she thought I was going to take it from her. This has had me worried. Then tonight I took her for a walk and she pooped and I have been taking a close look because of the bone. She did it twice, which is unusual. the first was semi firm but had some streak like maybe blood and the next one was small but completely dark color and runny. My dog NEVER complains so I dont know if she is sick. I'm not sure how far along she is with the pregnancy, I think a month. I didnt know if they have diferent bowel movements with pregnancy or if this is a bone problem. Any insight would help, like how do you tell when they are getting close to delivery? She is the best dog ever and I have never really liked pets at all but I love her and want her to have puppies. Thank you very much.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your Schnauzer will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your Schnauzer?
Customer: She is 4 years old and 20lbs. and we raised her from 6 weeks on. She is NOT vaccinated and survived Parvo when she was a year. Even then she did not really complain, just layed around and wouldnt eat. We injected fluid in her back neck area. I dont believe vaccines are good for pets or people and I know vets are moving toward less vaccines.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Pregnancy in dogs lasts 62 days on average. If the potential mating was 1 month ago, then we may not see bones on x-ray yet. The best way to diagnose pregnancy is with an ultrasound. Once they're ~ 45 days into gestation, then you can x-ray to get a count and know how many to expect.

I would just keep in touch with a vet to confirm the pregnancy and then monitor it. Most dogs will have the puppies at home without issues. Sometimes we see problems and they need a c-section. Hopefully that doesn't happen here.

Here's a nice handout on delivering puppies that you can read over:

https://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

I posted just before you, in case you didn't see.