Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 1 year old labradoodle is acting very lethargic and not

Customer Question

My 1 year old labradoodle is acting very lethargic and not eating or drinking much. Usually he is very hyper and scarfs his food and water. We just got back from a camping trip last night that was 3 days long. He was fine the whole trip and just started acting like this today. Is he just tired from the trip? Or could this be symptoms of something worse?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hopefully this is just a little lethargy from the trip. Given his age and breed, I would want to rule out Addison's. This is where the adrenal glands don't tolerate stress very well. It's very common in standard poodles and now the poodle mixes.

I would at least get an exam and bloodwork. If the electrolytes show abnormalities or the glucose is low, then I'd test for Addison's. If the bloodwork is normal, then it's probably just some lethargy from being over tired. In that case, let her rest and get back to herself.

Here's a nice write up on Addison's with more info:

https://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=608

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks! I appreciate your help. Would you consider this to be an emergency or could I wait for the vet to open until morning?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

If he's still getting up and walking outside and happy, then it can wait. If he's just laying there and won't get up or if his gums look pale or brown as opposed to blue, then I would go in now.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.
Hi Keara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Samson. How is everything going?