Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Dog has alot of color in xrays, but the vet gave her

Customer Question

dog has alot of white color in xrays, but the vet gave her amoxicillan, something for the cough and chest congestion. She tries to move about, but walks a little then lays down. These are the meds that were given to us, cough tabs and ciprofloxin. what should we do??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Fluffy and about age 10
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: fluffy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: tired, sounds like flem in the throat. is eating a little and drinks water like normal. she is going outside to pee...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like this may be pneumonia. In that case, I don't like to use cough suppressants. I typically treat my pneumonia dogs with a combination of Clavamox + Baytril (Enrofloxacin). I will also nebulize saline and coupage them every 4-6 hours. Most take 2-3 days in the hospital and then they go home once stable.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

If you're able to post the x-rays here, I would be happy to look at them for you.

Otherwise, you may want to get a second opinion to nail down the diagnosis and treat a little more aggressively.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.