Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a female pit that was a stray. I think she's about 6

Customer Question
I have a young female...
I have a young female pit bull that was a stray. I think she's about 6 months old. The past week I've noticed visible, crusty bumps in her coat on her back, neck, and hind legs. Now her hair is starting to fall out around the bumps. She had fleas when I found her but I treated that once I got her about 3 mo ago. I know it's not ringworm bc I've seen that in dogs before and it doesn't look that way. She's been wormed and had 2 rounds of vaccinations. I've been giving her Benadryl for several days now and it doesn't seem to help. I don't see any pus coming from the bumps, but once I gave her a good scrubbing to get the flaky skin off the bumps are very red, hard and raised. Could this be a bacterial or fungal infection?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

In a young pit, I would want to scrape these areas to rule out Demodex. Demodex mites are common in young pits. They are normal skin mites that become over-active when the immune system is suppressed. It can cause these typical dry hairless crusted lesions.

The treatment is usually with Ivermectin. It can take many months to fully cure the infestation.

Here is a nice write up with more info on Demodex:

https://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=630

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian