Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

A 4 month old German Shepard Pup got a hold of a box of

Customer Question
D-Con rat and mouse pellets...
A 4 month old German Shepard Pup got a hold of a box of D-Con rat and mouse pellets we gave him peroxide and got him to throw up a lot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the German shepherd eat anything unusual?
Customer: Are you reading what I wrote?
JA: What is the German shepherd's name?
Customer: Zion
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zion?
Customer: He's a healthy nosy puppy my daughter turned her back for 5 min and he got the D-Con she called a regular after hours vet he wanted $300.00 just to see him she can't aford that
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Zion ingested a box of D-Con rat and mouse pellets.

I do need to know what the active ingredient is in this product.

Most rat poisons are anticoagulants (warfarin, pindone, coumafuryl, coumachlor, isovaleryl indanedione, chlorophacinone, diphacinone, brodifacoum, bromadiolone, difethiolone), but some calcify tissues (cholecalciferol), some are neurotoxins due to brain swelling (bromethalin), and others are phosphide rodenticides which produce phosphine gas in the stomach and can lead to bloating and liver and kidney failure and seizures. With phosphide rodenticides the more food in the stomach the more gas is produced, thus we don't recommend food.

1. Please read the label and tell me the active ingredient.How much does he weigh?
  2. How much peroxide did she give him?
  3. How soon after ingestion was she able to get him to vomit?
  4. Do you believe he fully emptied his stomach?
  5. How long has it been since he vomited?
  6. How is he behaving now?

If she vomited within 30-60 minutes of eating the toxin and emptied her stomach fully (retching until only bringing up mucous or dry heaving) then she may be just fine.

If this was a long acting anticoagulant the effects can last for 30+ days. We usually see effects from the toxin in 1 to 3 days, but sometimes it can take up to 5 or so days later.

The first thing to do if she ate this less than 3 hours ago is to induce vomiting, get rid of as much as the poison as possible, which you have done.

Then if you aren't sure that she vomited it all you can use activated charcoal. Unfortunately she's probably a big pup so the over the counter capsules won't work. She would need 1 GRAM per pound of body weight given every 6-8 hours for 2 doses. The over the counter capsules are generally 200mg to 250mg size, so she would need to take 4-5 of those per pound (1gram = 1000mgs). The number of capsules needed to get the correct amount is unreasonable for most dogs. Emergency clinics have concentrated liquids they can tube feed.

And ideally if we aren't sure she vomited it all she would need a clotting profile checked in a couple days, and she may need vitamin K-1 for 30+ days if her clotting function is off.

For now if you feel she has emptied her stomach and this was an anticoagulant type then you can continue at home.

To settle her stomach after she finishes vomiting you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. You can give one of these for a day or so if need be.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian