Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 7 lb chihuhua that is having itching with bumps and

Customer Question

I have a 7 lb chihuhua that is having itching with bumps and red colored belly. The vet put him on metronidazole and temaril-p today. He had 1/2 temaril -p tablet at 3 pm today but is starting to scratch again. He has pancreatitis and had a bout of it 2 weeks ago. Should I give him childrens benadryl or an early dose of the temaril - it is not due until 3 am. Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Is this the first time this has happened.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It started yesterday evening. He had a similar thing a few years ago before the pancreatitis diagnosis
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there?

Okay thanks for the additional information. Was he put on the metronidazole for diarrhea or for the skin? The Temaril -P is a combination of a steroid and a anti-histamine so I wouldn't recommend giving benadryl because it may interact with the anti-histamine in the Temaril P

If he is still itching then you may be okay giving the temaril-P maybe 1-2 hours early

If you are still noticing that the temaril P is not lasting long enough you may want to ask your veterinarian about increasing the dose or switching to a new medication that may work better. An injectable antibiotic may be an option if the temaril-P is not working as well

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think the metronidazole was for diarrhea as a precaution for pancreatitis.

Okay does he get diarrhea when he goes on Temaril-P or is it just for a precaution ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think it was as a precaution

Okay. It should be okay to give the Temaril P as early as 1 am to help him out some. Hopefully that dose will last a little longer then the first dose and the remainder doses will help him