Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a 8 week old Boxer Puppy. Can you recommend the best

Customer Question

I have a 8 week old Boxer Puppy. Can you recommend the best puppy food? Budget is not a issue. Does it have to be large breed formula? If so, what are benefits for large breed formula vs regular puppy formula? Thank you in advance
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

Large breed science diet food is my preference because in 28 years of practice science diet has had one recall on their food...which is amazing on safety.....large breed prevents dogs from growing too fast and developing bone disease as much...

do you have any other questions?

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

I am retiring for the night but I check my computer nightly so feel free to leave additional questions here....and I will get back to you. Sincerely, DRB

Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).
Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is wet food bad for teeth? Or would you recommend just kibble? So, large breed formula actually stops them from growing to big? I always th out it was the other way around. Would you recommend feeding 1 meal a day after they're a little older or 2 smaller meals? Sorry this my first puppy at 8 weeks old
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

Always feed two meals per day even in adult dogs....I don't care for canned food for dogs and I do think it increases tartar...at least that is what I have seen clinically..... large breed formula keeps them from growing too fast which can lead to bone disease....as a puppy usually good to feed three times per day. Hope this helps. DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions...DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

If you do not have any other questions for me I would appreciate a rating.....I do this job to make extra money for my family and if you don't rate me I don't get paid. Thank you very much, DRB

PS If you have other questions I am happy to answer....

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.
Hi Carrie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?

Dr B