Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog will not stop licking her nail on her front paw, I

can not see anything physically...
My dog will not stop licking her nail on her front paw, I can not see anything physically wrong with it besides that the nail is possibly turned a little? Maybe a slightly darker color than the other paw?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Stella she is 3
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Stella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?
Customer: No
7/26/2017
Robert Schwarb

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed DVM. If you could please respond in the next 15 minutes I would like to try to help.

Hi, it is a little hard to see if the discoloration there is bruising or anything, but it certainly does look like some brown staining which is likely saliva staining. This is pretty common on dogs who are licking their feet, and the main reason they lick their feet is due to allergies.

Especially this time of year allergies are really bad, so we are seeing a lot of dogs scratching and licking their feet. Have you tried giving any medications at home? Or are there any other symptoms that you are seeing recently?

what are some things I can do at home? I just wanted to make sure she wasn't in pain or that it would get worse. Only symptom is the paw licking but on the same paw all the time.

The first medication I would try is Benadryl (same type that you or I would take). Do you know how much your dog weighs?

About 7 pounds, Yorkie Buchon mix. Liquid Benadryl?

Liquid or pills, whichever one is easier for you.

Liquid (2.5mg/ml) = use about 3mL

Children's tablet = 1/2 tablet

Adult tablet = 1/4 tablet

I would start by using it twice per day, but you can use it up to every 6 hours if needed. It is a pretty safe medication other than it may make Stella a little sleepy.

If you find that is not helping then I would set up an appointment with your local veterinarian as there as some very good prescription medications to help with allergies. They could also send home antibiotics or an e-collar if needed. Do you have any questions about any of that?

Ok perfect! I will try Benadryl and follow up at the office if needed. Thank you!

You are very welcome, I certainly hope that helps.

If you could please take the time now to give my answer a positive review I would appreciate it, that is the only way we can receive credit for our time. Good luck!

Robert Schwarb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Robert Schwarb
Robert Schwarb
Robert Schwarb
Robert Schwarb