How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 20756
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 10 lb schnauzer puppy just swallowed a cherry pit. Is 1

Customer Question

My 10 lb schnauzer puppy just swallowed a cherry pit. Is 1 pit enough to poison her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the puppy ate?
Customer: A cherry pit
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: No she just had her check up and finally puppy shots today
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. It is well documented that cherry pits and other pits for that matter contain cyanide and so can be toxic to dogs, however for this to happen quite a quantity have to be ingested then usually over a period of time. The very low amount of toxin in just one cherry pit is very unlikely to cause any problem of any sort even to a very small pup. The chances are that this pit will just pass through her digestive system without problem.

2. There are no special measures you need take for now other than just keeping an eye on her, but in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your pup's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.