Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got camphor phenique put on a hot spot. I washed it,

but should I do more...
My dog got camphor phenique put on a hot spot. I washed it, but should I do more? Doesn't seem to be showing any sign of reaction.
7/26/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long was the time gap between applying the camphor phenique and you washing it off ?

No more than 10 minutes

Hello again Anne,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. That's great, the fact that you acted so quickly means there is almost no risk of the camphor phenique causing any adverse effects to Bo.

2. That leaves you with the question as to what to do about the Hot Spot now? Well I have known clients independently treat Hot Spot and report success using the likes of 0.5% or 1% Hydrocortisone cream applied twice a day for a week, this is an over the counter human med. It is important to cut the hair from round the affected area and washing the area with luke warm salt water and then dabbing it dry with some clean kitchen paper before applying the cream will also help.

3. Of course if this skin lesion does not quickly resolve or you note any deterioration then you should have your local vet check your dog over as prescription drugs are sometimes required and also other skin diseases can sometimes mimic the appearance of " Hot Spot " But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Bo's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

That is a relief. Thank you

No problem Anne, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go with Bo ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Anne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bo. How is everything going?