petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My dog is throwing up and strains when she tries to poop,

Customer Question

My dog is throwing up and strains when she tries to poop
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I'm not sure
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She can't keep her food down Ruthie 10
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ruthie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ruthie?
Customer: She had bladder stones a few years ago
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Since Sunday night
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It happens every once and while. She usually has trimmers after she throws up. She was on a prescription diet for bladder stones, but she also had Hills id. I gave her the hills because I thought it would help but she's still throwing up.
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Is she passing stool when she strains? If so, it is normal looking or soft? When was the last time you saw a normal stool?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She passed small amounts of stool. It's ranged from runny and small soft stool. I would say late last week was the last time I remember normal stool.
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 months ago.

Ok it sounds as if she may be going through a bout of colitis or inflammation of the large bowel. The signs can be very intermittent and can vary in severity, from normal stools to mushy to very soft, all even within one day at times. Seeing mucus or blood is not unusual as well in some cases. There can be a sense of urgency to move their bowels and many of the pets will strain when having a BM, which to the owner can almost look like they are constipated. Many pets with colitis have GI discomfort and some will even vomit.

Colitis can have many causes including intestinal parasites, dietary indiscretion, food allergies or intolerances, metabolic disturbances from internal organ malfunctions, viruses, toxins, cancer or even stress. Your veterinarian will want to know the history of her signs and will need to perform a physical exam to help rule out the causes mentioned. They may perhaps suggest a change in diet or medications. Make sure they also perform a rectal exam to evaluate her anal glands. A stool sample analysis is a very important part of getting to the bottom of this as intestinal parasites are one of the most common causes. Since this has been going on for days now without resolution, I would have her evaluated by your vet soon.

Until you can get in contact with your vet, I would fast Ruthie to give her GI system a rest. Since she is an adult dog, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt her and will let her gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding her again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for her. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. If the stools improve, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean her back onto her normal food and feeding schedule.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z