Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I got a pug puppy last night, and because the previous owner

Customer Question
Hi Pearl! JA: I'll do all...
Hi Pearl!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: I got a pug puppy last night
JA: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: and because the previous owner had no food, I let him eat a little bit of moistened cat food
JA: What is the pug's name?
Customer: Barkley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Barkley?
Customer: He is very tired and unenthusiastic
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Any breathing changes?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

He vomited. His vomit was mostly orangish from the cat food but also had some opaque slime in it.His gums are pink. He has been drinking water a little bit at a time.
He doesn't seem overly tender but seems to not like being picked up as much.I tried to feed him a little drop of honey but he didn't want it, and also wouldn't eat a small piece of salmon.

Hello again,

Now given the vomiting as well, I do suspect that the cat food (which is too rich for puppies) has caused a gastritis or pancreatitis. Though of course we cannot exclude a non-related gut infection, parasites/protozoa, dietary indiscretion, or a harmful ingestion (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle this. To start, to counter his nausea, you can try him with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, give it 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down that is usually a red flag for us to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

As we let that kick in, we can try the honey again but we don't need to try to feed it. Just rub it on his gums as the sugar will absorb and raise Barkley's blood sugar. After the antacid has kicked in, we can follow this with small meals of an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, we usually feed this until they settle and then wean slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk with vomiting pups, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren’t sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). Though any of these signs and that’d be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall,this does sound suspicious of gastritis or pancreatitis from cat food. And if he is nauseous, then often they won't want to eat. So, we’d want to start the above to try to settle this for Barkley. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, check for fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister infections present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-nausea, medication +/- antibiotics to get him settled and back to feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian