Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My puppy was last wormed at 8 weeks it's now ten weeks and I

Customer Question

Hi my puppy was last wormed at 8 weeks it's now ten weeks and I have wormed her again with frontal liquid my friend has said it could damage her and should have waited til twelve weeks what can i do will she be ok
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Loulou
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Loulou?
Customer: No she's very healthy just looking bit thin not putting weight on but she's very active and bright in herself
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

I understand that you are concerned as you are hearing conflicting advice about how often to worm your puppy.

I want to make sure we are discussing the same product. You used Frontal liquid wormer with the active ingredients Febantel & Pyrantel, is that correct?

If so then you are correct in your worming schedule. The general recommendations are that puppies are wormed with a broad spectrum wormer every 2 weeks until 12 weeks of age then monthly until 6 months of age then twice a year or you can choose to use a heartworm preventative that includes a wormer (like Heartgard Plus or Sentinel) monthly.

I do recommend submitting at least 2-3 fresh stool samples to your veterinarian too because there isn't one medication that covers all worms and protozoal parasites. We still need to look for unusual parasites.

If LouLou is bright, active, alert and growing and her veterinarian is not commenting that she is too thin I would not worry too much. Puppies go through many growth spurts and their musculature often fills in later after they are beyond the rapid skeletal growth phase. It is much worse to have an overweight pup as that weight will stress her joints and ligaments and lead to long term trouble.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****