How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gabby Your Own Question
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 12487
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Gabby is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 8 lb yorkie ate about 3/4 cup of raisin about 930am this

Customer Question

Our 8 lb yorkie ate about 3/4 cup of raisin about 930am this morning. She ate a peace lily leaf yesterday. She have liquid stools. She woke up with loose bowels before the raisins so I think the diahrea is due to that but reading the raisin posts have me alarmed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Yorkie will be able to digest that. What is the Yorkie's name and age?
Customer: Chloe and 11m
JA: What is the Yorkie's name?
Customer: Chloe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?
Customer: No she showing mo signs other then liquid diarrhea
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.

She does need to see a vet if she consumed 3/4 a cup of raisins and she is only 8 pounds. Not all dogs react to raisins but some dogs may react after eating just a couple raisins. So she needs to see a vet to have her kidney values checked to make sure she is not adversely affect.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We went they are recommending 3 day hospitalzation the probably is they dont have a over night staff and she never alone. Can anything be done out patience
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.

Did they at least run blood work or induce vomiting or give her medication to bind the toxins?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No none of that.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.

Most of my patients who eat raisins go to the emergency clinic for over night iv fluids and observation.

You can either leave her at the ER clinic for the duration of treatment or you can drop her off at your vet in the morning then take her back to the ER for over night care.

I would not risk trying to treat this at home without knowing how her kidneys are and if she is stable.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It had been about 4 hours
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.

I wonder why they did not induce vomiting or do any treatment?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.

I had a 80 pound dog eat 90 raisins a few days ago and the patient went to the ER clinic and they induced vomiting and started iv fluids and monitored the kidneys. The dog is fine now.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.

So if the vet you took her too was not going to help you then I would take her to another vet or the emergency clinic.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The problem he our is so little. Im waitimg for my husband and we going to take her.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.

" The problem he our is so little." Sorry, I am not sure what that means.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.

How soon will your husband be able to take her?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Our dog is 8lbs
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.

That is not that much of a problem. They will still be able to do blood work and put an iv in and start fluids. We have to do that on tiny puppies and kittens so we are used to that.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.

Will your husband be home soon to take her?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby