Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a registered great dane puppy 18 wks old, spectrum 6

Customer Question

I have a registered great dane puppy 18 wks old, spectrum 6 and safeguard canine dewormer given last night. This is his 5th parvo shot so not new, have mixed them up... 3 from vet, last night over counter. Last night my husband said he had diahrhea and today thin water light brown feces. He wants to lick his behind and when I touch his tail, he cries and it it is swollen 3 inches down on his tail
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the Great Dane's name?
Customer: Samson. I have had Danes before, this is new, and I have seen parvo, plenty. The feces is off in odor, but not smelling like parvo.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Samson?
Customer: No... smart terrific puppy!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to help you.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

Probably the most important thing to know is to never ever give OTC vaccines.....I have seen this make so many puppies sick over my 28 years. This is because these companies that sell these OTC don't have any strick rules or regulations about how long these vaccine sit on floor before they are refrigerated. Vet clinics are anal about this because they are inspected by the Veterinary Medical Board...... so, you need to take your puppy to the vet because this could be early Parvo or some other GI virus.....this is not a handle at home situation. The other thing important to know is that Parvo in early stages can look like a fairly benign disease and the only way to rule it out is with a Parvo test and a complete blood count and even that sometimes can be wrong.....so see your vet asap. DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

Can I offer you additional assistance?