Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

He is aspirating ever time he drinks water. he was recently

Customer Question

he is aspirating ever time he drinks water. he was recently treated for aspiration pneumonia, however, every time he drinks he makes this aspiration noise. I have raised his bowel from he floor by approximately six inches to change his angle of drinkig.......what else can be done ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the pneumonia. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Napoleon....11 year old Maltese.....................yes the Vet had him on a course of antibiotics for the pneumonia
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Napoleon?
Customer: know.....he was recently seen about 7-10 days ago
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 2 months ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Did your vet do any investigations into the cause for the pneumonia?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, my vet did not. My dog completed a week of antibiotics for the aspiration pneumonia. I have raised his water bowl off of the floor by approximately 6-8 inches to provide a different angle for him to drink his water from. This was recommended by the Vet Tech. However, he stills makes that noise like he is choking when he drinks his water still.

Apologies for the delay in replying, I have been offline for a few days.

Has he improved on the antibiotics? Does he have any signs of nasal discharge?