Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Hi. She just ate about 50 or so Centrum VitaMints, they're

Hi. She just ate about 50 or so Centrum VitaMints, they're mints not the regular vitamins and a small piece of milk chocolate. She's about 60lbs. This happened less than an hour ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pipper she's around 8-9 not sure.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pipper?
Customer: She has allergies to food and grass, a sensitive stomach but otherwise ok.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Sorry about the wait, I just logged on and saw this.

These multi vitamins are pretty safe. The most we typically see is vomiting/ diarrhea as they can upset the GI tract. These signs are typically self limiting and they'll resolve on their own over 12-24 hours without any specific therapy.

If the vomiting doesn't stop on it's own, then I would see a vet so they can treat supportively with fluids and anti-nausea meds (Cerenia).

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks so much for getting back to me. Should I make her throw up? What about vitamin D poisoning?

I would not induce vomiting.

It takes quite a bit of Vit D to cause toxicity. Usually more than what is in these multi vitamins. If you have the label to know how much is in each, I can do the math and make sure for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would appreciate that a lot.
It says: 2 minty chewables, Servings per container 30.
Vitamin D 1000 IU (250% DV)

Ok, the conversion is 40,000 IU = 1 mg

These are 500 IU per chew. 50 chews would be 25,000 IU. That would be 0.6 mg.

The toxic dose in dogs is > 0.5 mg per kg. In a 60 lb/ 27 kg dog, it would take 13 mg to cause toxicity.

This amount is way below the amount needed to cause Vit D toxicity.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much! I have the worst luck when it comes to my dogs health that I sometimes overreact.
I really appreciate all your help especially so late at night.

No problem. Happy to help!