How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19798
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. She just ate about 50 or so Centrum VitaMints, they're

This answer was rated:

Hi. She just ate about 50 or so Centrum VitaMints, they're mints not the regular vitamins and a small piece of milk chocolate. She's about 60lbs. This happened less than an hour ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pipper she's around 8-9 not sure.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pipper?
Customer: She has allergies to food and grass, a sensitive stomach but otherwise ok.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Sorry about the wait, I just logged on and saw this.

These multi vitamins are pretty safe. The most we typically see is vomiting/ diarrhea as they can upset the GI tract. These signs are typically self limiting and they'll resolve on their own over 12-24 hours without any specific therapy.

If the vomiting doesn't stop on it's own, then I would see a vet so they can treat supportively with fluids and anti-nausea meds (Cerenia).

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks so much for getting back to me. Should I make her throw up? What about vitamin D poisoning?

I would not induce vomiting.

It takes quite a bit of Vit D to cause toxicity. Usually more than what is in these multi vitamins. If you have the label to know how much is in each, I can do the math and make sure for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would appreciate that a lot.
It says: 2 minty chewables, Servings per container 30.
Vitamin D 1000 IU (250% DV)

Ok, the conversion is 40,000 IU = 1 mg

These are 500 IU per chew. 50 chews would be 25,000 IU. That would be 0.6 mg.

The toxic dose in dogs is > 0.5 mg per kg. In a 60 lb/ 27 kg dog, it would take 13 mg to cause toxicity.

This amount is way below the amount needed to cause Vit D toxicity.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much! I have the worst luck when it comes to my dogs health that I sometimes overreact.
I really appreciate all your help especially so late at night.

No problem. Happy to help!

Dr. Gary and 3 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you