Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 5 month old wheaten terrier. For the last 4 nights

Customer Question

I have a 5 month old wheaten terrier. For the last 4 nights he has had very lose poop at night and wakes me up every two hours to go outside or poops on the floor.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Nash
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nash?
Customer: I haven't changed his food since he was like 2 months old and during the day he isn't going out every two hours
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is he up to date on his shots? Is he on heartworm preventative?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he is up to date on his shots and yes he is on a heart worm preventative

Okay thanks for the additional information. Is he acting normal otherwise? She he is still a young puppy a common issue in young puppies that causes diarrhea is if they ate something that didn't agree with them. That could be something outside or they also could be getting sensitive to the food that they are eating even though it hasn't changed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah totally normal, and during the day he is going out like he normally would. It's starts around 11:30pm/12am and goes until 6am and then he is totally fine again
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have no idea if it can be related but he lost 3 of his puppy teeth in the last 48 hours

Okay that is strange. Is there any blood in the poop? I would recommend trying him on a bland diet such as boiled chicken and rice for a couple of days to see if it helps with the diarrhea. If that doesn't help then he may need medication just in case he is experiencing some type of sensitivity. Also you may want to see if he is putting anything unusual in his mouth when he is running around outside or inside the house. Does he get any treats

Him losing the teeth is normal at that age and typically doesn't cause diarrhea.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I started him on rice today and the poop seems to not be as loose so I will continue with that. Yeah he gets peanut butter treats I'm not sure the exact kind but he has always gotten those treats and at most 3 throughout the day.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
from what I have gathered now cleaning it multiple times from my floor there is no blood

Okay I would continue the rice and add the boiled chicken and/or chicken breast. I would discontinue the treats for a couple of days to see if that makes a difference at all. There are some puppies as they get older who can develop a sensivity to certain foods that they haven't had an issue with in the past. If that doesn't help then he may need to be placed on medication. I usually place dogs on a medication called metronidazole and a probiotic to help with diarrhea.

Let me know if you have any further questions