Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Mastiff has an enflamed tail. He acts like it itches him

Customer Question
My Mastiff has an enflamed...
My Mastiff has an enflamed tail. He acts like it itches him really bad, He has just started biting at his rear so bad that the hair is coming off. He has been treated for fleas and I don't see any on him, but his hair is wirey and thick.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the Mastiff's name and age?
Customer: Bubba and he is 4,
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bubba?
Customer: He cries and whines and moves like he is really itchy.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

Friend, it sounds like Bubba has what we commonly call a hotspot which is an area of inflammation made worse by excessive licking. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply topical cortisone cream. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. You can buy cortisone cream over the counter in any pharmacy.

4- If no significant improvement in 1-2 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Quite a while. Kept hoping it would get better. Prob a couple of months.

Please read above.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian