Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I think my 100 pound dog ate a cigarette. I have to get

Customer Question

I think my 100 pound dog ate a cigarette butt. I have to get ready to go to work, to late to call in. what should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rusty and 8 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: again rusty
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again Randy,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't worry about this too much, one cigarette butt is way below any toxic dose for your weight of dog, the chances are Rusty will be just fine.

2. The reason I say this is that the formula I personally use in these circumstances is that the toxic level of nicotine in dogs is 5 milligrams of nicotine per pound of body weight, and one whole cigarette contains 15 to 25 milligrams of nicotine depending on the brand that was swallowed. So you can see that Rusty is not in any danger from just one small fragment of cigarette.

3. There are no special measures you need take under the circumstances. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Rusty's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello again Randy,

I am just checking back in to see how Rusty is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the cigarette butt incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
far, he seems to be acting fine.
Good to hear, I thought he would be OK.Regards, *****
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Randy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?