Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a litter of puppies that I'm fostering thst are going…

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a litter of puppies that I'm fostering thst are going to be six weeks old on thurs. They were given their shots and dewormed on sat. Today one of them just threw up a long worm that was still moving. Is this normal?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the puppy's name?

His name is goofy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Goofy?

Not that I'm aware of. After he threw up the worm he's been just sleeping. These puppies were born st my house there mom is my foster dog but she only feed them for 2 weeks and then I have been bottle feeding since.

7/25/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. If a long, round worm that looks like spaghetti was vomited up, that sounds like a round worm. These worms in the intestinal tract are paralyzed when the various dewormers are given. They lose their hold on the lining of the intestinal tract and are then passed (usually out in the stools). Was this one vomited up paralyzed and couldn't hold on? That is very likely. Could it somehow have been missed with the dewormer? That can't be totally ruled out - this can sometimes happen if the dosing wasn't correct for the weight or not all was swallowed. The good news is that this isn't that big of a deal. With round worms, typical a second and possibly third deworming are recommended in all cases as there are still most likely younger stages of the worm in transit in the body that weren't treated and need to be treated in 2 and possibly 4 weeks. Here is a good link on this.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=476

Thank you for getting back to me. Do I need to worry about the puppy at all? He seems to be very blah now

The presence of that one worm in the vomit wouldn't be overly worrying. He could be a little blah as he's just got some stomach upset. I would hope that the "blah" is short lived and he's back to his normal self in the next 12 hours or so. He should start to eat and drink and be more perky. If he's not improving, then the concern rises as to something else causing the nausea and his current situation.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?