Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She has diabetes and ate 2 large cookies, Lucy & she is 11

Customer Question

she has diabetes and ate 2 large cookies
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucy & she is 11 yrs. old.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lucy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. These things happen from time to time { I am diabetic myself ! }, what is likely to happen here is a spike in blood sugar, but this is not usually long lived and your dog's blood glucose will normally reduce to normal after a few hours. Such elevations in blood sugar though undesirable are not dangerous, secondary changes such as cataracts or liver problems usually only occur after the blood glucose has been consistently high for many weeks and months.

2. The best thing to do in this sort of situation is just to carry on with Lucy's insulin injections as normal, any attempt to compensate for the ingestion of these cookies by adjusting her insulin dose leaves you open to the possibility of a hypoglycaemic crisis which could be more dangerous than a short term blood glucose spike, which in any case will ususally just correct itself on it's own.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Lucy's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lucy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the cookies issue...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott